Saturday, April 25, 2015

Second Generation Missionary

Alternate Title:   
She's Going Where?!?!?!

Rebeka is nearly grown up now and is making her own travel plans.  She will spend her summer volunteering with children in Nepal through the Hope & Home organization.

As parents, Nepal seems even farther away than Spain.  But we are supporting Rebeka in this trip and believing that God will use her in an amazing way as she follows Him in this direction.

Here is her plan in her own words:

  ~ Rebeka’s Summer Plans ~

Hello everyone! In case you have not already heard, this summer I am planning to travel to Nepal, where I will volunteer for eight weeks. I am extremely excited about this opportunity to visit new places, gain new experiences and perspectives, and be of as much help as I can be. Below is more information with the specifics of what I will be doing.

Who?

I have made my plans through the organization International Volunteer HQ, a volunteer travel company. The IVHQ partner organization I will be working with in Nepal is Hope and Home, which works with international volunteers to offer meaningful opportunities and seek sustainable solutions for education, health, conservation, and development issues.  These organizations work together to secure accommodations and meals for volunteers, ensure safety while abroad, and provide in-country support.
 

What?

While in Nepal, I will be a childcare volunteer. I am very excited about this, as it has been a while since I have been able to work with children, something that I love doing.

In developing countries like Nepal, thousands of children are orphaned, leaving them with no real home, family, or educational opportunities. As a childcare volunteer in Nepal, I will be placed in an orphanage where I can help local children in their day-to-day lives.

My general role will be to be an older sister to the children, something I have a lot of experience with! The specific tasks of each volunteer vary depending on the orphanage and the needs at the time. Examples of typical volunteer work can include; teaching, assisting with learning general life skills and health education, organizing games and activities, drawing & painting, and showing the children lots of love.
I am especially passionate about girls’ education in Nepal, one of the reasons that led me to choose this destination. I have been in contact with the Program Coordinator in Nepal about the role I can take as related to this area of interest, and am very excited about the ways I will be able to engage with the girls at the orphanage where I will be working.

When?

I will be flying out of Jacksonville on Thursday, May 28th, to begin my program on Monday, June 1st. I will have a 3-day orientation in Kathmandu to help me get adjusted and acclimated before I begin at my permanent volunteer placement.

I will be in Nepal for 8 weeks, ending on Friday July 24th, after which I will return to Jacksonville for a few days before heading back to Berry College, to begin my new position as a Senior Intern for the Bonner Scholars Program before classes start up again in August.

Where?

Hope and Home has volunteer placements in four main areas within Nepal – Kathmandu, Chitwan, Chitlang and Pokhara. Kathmandu is the capital city of Nepal, and placements here are on the outskirts of the city in rural and urban areas. Chitwan is approximately 150 km from Kathmandu, in a flat fertile plain. Chitlang is rural, about 2 hours drive from Kathmandu. Pokhara is located in mid-western Nepal and is a popular tourist destination, because of its amazing lake and mountain views. After doing a lot of research on these areas and looking at a lot of beautiful photos, I am hoping to be assigned to Pokhara, but I will be happy to serve wherever I am needed!

How Much?

I am applying for aid from my Bonner scholarship, and I have been trying to save up all year, but college is expensive and I still need a little help reaching my goal! I would appreciate if you would prayerfully consider supporting me financially on this trip. Below is an overview of the financial aspects of this trip. (I am not a math major so if something doesn’t add up, I blame Excel!)

As previously mentioned, I am applying for financial aid from my scholarship. I am waiting for it to be officially approved, but it is highly likely I will receive this funding:


Here is the total of what I need now, after the Financial Aid and what I’ve already paid:

Slightly less daunting! Of course, I’m sure other things might arise along the way, as they tend to do, but these are the numbers I know as of now!

Tax deductible contributions can be sent to:
Barnabas, Inc.
228 Ponte Vedra Dr. Suite 700
Ponte Vedra Beach FL 32082
Please write “Nepal” in the memo.

My program fees are due May 1st, and I would like to purchase my flights before then as well.
If you have any questions just let me know! You can contact me through a comment on this blog  or by e-mail at garcia@reydelasnaciones.com.

Thank you so much for your support, and for taking the time to read this letter! I am just ridiculously excited about this opportunity, thank you for helping make it a little more possible!

Love,
Rebeka •

No comments:

Post a Comment